There are so many things I wanted to be as a child. The world seemed so limitless because I knew that being the creative, outspoken book nerd with many gifts would get me somewhere someday. In my head I could be anything I wanted to be and all I had to do was believe in myself and I would be fine. Based on the different opportunities life presented to me that I chose to take advantage of. I would wonder if I could be a great singer, a famous painter, and maybe a motivational speaker. I had this voice I never wanted anyone to tame and I had this fire that I would never let anyone put out. This flame I have gave me that internal and mental push to reach my full potential.
I believe the struggle most people have is converting their dreams of who they could be into reality. So that they become all that they are called to be and more. This idea of having a fulfilling life brings us to this unanswered question:
How do I become the person in my dreams?
Point #1: The person you envision yourself as and the person you are do not have to be two different people!
In the personal reflection I mentioned in the beginning I saw myself as someone great with great accomplishments. Right now I have accomplishments but I am simply not where I want to be spiritually, mentally, emotional or physically. Just because you aren’t where you want to be doesn’t mean your dream can’t be your reality. You bridge the gap between where you are and where you want to be by doing the work!
You do the work by doing the following:
- Pray about the way you envision yourself & your future – go before the lord and ask him what he thinks. If you have peace about what you are working towards and you believe God is on board then move to the next step
- Start the process of putting together a plan: business plan, project tracker that includes milestones leading towards accomplishing your goal
#3. Gather Resources
- Write down what resources you have and what resources you don’t have but need
- Do lots of research :cost, long and short term benefits and disadvantages, location etc.
- Hold yourself accountable with real deadlines: set a realistic time table and stick to it
- Determine who or what will be your motivation and support: family , friends, significant other, mentors etc.
- Believe in yourself and have faith! This comes through self-reflection and prayer.
- Get it done! Execute your game plan! Take the leap of faith and get started!
As you do the work you will begin to realize that you are growing and walking in your purpose everyday. #1 Praying about your vision is a very important step because you want to make sure God is leading you and included in all your life decisions. Personally I have learned that acknowledging you need God and submitting to his will for your life will save you a lot of heartache and disappointment. God has your best interest in mind, always remember that.
Proverbs 3:6 KJV
- “6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.”
Point #2: Process your dreams through self-reflection.
When you have dreams, write them down. It’s not going to kill you. If you don’t like writing then you can record yourself talking and save it on your phone. Processing your dreams by recording or writing them down will give you time to think and pray on it as well as self-reflect.
It’s important to do this because you need to determine what may have influenced you to try to pursue this dream and make it a reality. Influences sometimes determine how dedicated we are to reaching a specific goal or remaining consistent on the project we are doing.
Here is an example of processing your dreams through self-reflection below.
Dream: Write as many books as my heart desires that will help and inspire people through transparency and poetry!
Goal: Becoming a published author!
Influences behind this goal:
- Passion for writing
- The desire to share my work
- Grow professionally in the writing industry
- Mold, mentor and motivate the next generation
- Creating a legacy for my future family
Point #3 Personal and professional development!
When you think of becoming the person in your dreams what are you wearing? Do you like your current appearance and if not how can you find your style/look? How do you sound when others listen to you? Professionally- What impression do you leave on others?
All these questions are important because they allow you to write down your thoughts and determine what areas of your life you need to work on. They also are important because they play a role in how your brand will be interpreted by your audience.
The picture above is how I found my look as a writer and author. I love a nice sophisticated dress, funky glasses, natural makeup and jewelry that stood out. This look works for me because I enjoy a more professional polished look but everyone isn’t the same.
Find what works for you!
I thank you Jesus for giving me insight to give my readers nourishment for their mind, body and soul. Rest kings and queens of the most high, soaking in the fact that God’s got us! You are Destined For Greater!
BLOG POST SOURCES
All photos that are covered by the Creative Commons Zero license
Don’t forget to subscribe to my blog! “Part 3-Direction” , of my “Unanswered Questions” series will be released soon!
© Copyright 2021 All Rights Reserved | Porchia Suber-Destined For Greater